Euro 2012

Joshjrn

How have none of you tits from across the pond made this topic yet?

France looked very solid today, while the English side looked terrified. I'm curious to see if England will press more against weaker sides.

No one wants to lose the opening game, least of all an England side under a new manager that will be ripped apart by our press if they lose. If Milner converted his golden opportunity in the first half we could have won. For once I was pretty content watching an England performance which never happens. Either they played better than usual or I care less. Probably both.

Under our new manager we're very defensive and aim for counter attacks. Plus no Rooney = no outstanding attacking outlet. Also the ref was pathetic.

What are you whining about?

Under our new manager we're very defensive and aim for counter attacks. Plus no Rooney = no outstanding attacking outlet. Also the ref was pathetic.

Watch any decent punditry on that game. France's defensive tactics revolved around kicking an England player if a counter attack was building up. Anywhere in the world a cynical tackle like that is a foul and usually a yellow card, the ref gave neither repeatedly.

But I agree with Mike, I'd take a draw from that game.

England should have gotten a lot more advantages their way, and probably some cards for France. Overall with the performances though a draw wasn't too bad of a result.

Watch any decent punditry on that game. France's defensive tactics revolved around kicking an England player if a counter attack was building up. Anywhere in the world a cynical tackle like that is a foul and usually a yellow card, the ref gave neither repeatedly.

Decent punditry, or English punditry? :lol:

Decent punditry, or English punditry? :lol:

They're one and the same :hmph: But yeah, obviously I'm biased but the ref was poor.

I'm admittedly biased, but I felt like the officiating was even. We can quibble over whether the official let them play too much, but I would rebuke any argument that France got calls the English side didn't.

I'm not arguing that the ref was biased towards France. I just think he was poor. Obviously I'm mostly only going to be remembering decisions that were wrong against England though.

The French side was roughed up several times and no call was made. I think our disparate reactions are due to continental divide. Americans expect officials to allow the players to play. The quickest way to piss us off is to blow your whistle every time someone flops on the ground. I think that Europeans are a bit more used to passive aggressive playing and ticky-tac officiating.

I disagree. I can't stand watching European football because of the player's constantly after freekicks for the slightest knock. England's league is usually on their own in attempting to let the game flow. The difference is letting the game flow when there's advantage to be played or if it isn't a foul. Several times there were fouls where the ball would fall to the opposing team (eradicating the chance of advantage being played) and the ref wouldn't give anything. For example, Danny Welbeck attempted a one-two with Oxlade-Chamberlain I think and as soon as Welbeck laid the ball off, the guy just ran into Welbeck's path, knocking him over, completely off the ball and the ref gave nothing.

I agree that should have been called. However, I think there were only a couple of truly "missed" calls in the match. I consider that acceptable officiating.

Big tournaments need officials to be on top of their games. Sadly the only way we're going to get flawless officiating is with the help of TV referees which UEFA refuse to implement for some unknown reasons.

But yeah, the ref wasn't the worst ref I've ever seen. Just don't like seeing them get things wrong in the biggest football tournaments of all.

I got my money on Germany or Spain to win.

EDIT: Err yeah...was looking at recent international friendlies when I typed this lmfao

Edited by BornSkulled
Ascended Elf

My country (Netherlands) didn't do so well last Sunday against Denmark :/

Hope we do better against Germany this Wednesday because that is really needed...

Netherlands' group is one of the toughest. Germany, Portugal, Denmark and Netherlands. Oddly Denmark were the first team to get 3 points lol. That group's wide open now. I still think Germany and Holland will go through 1st and 2nd though.

Edited by Aurum S