Euro 2012

Joshjrn

You should have US Opened it from the start. I called a 4-0 win for Spain this morning :reporter:

Have Westwood, Donald & McIlroy teed off yet, Josh?

About 10-15 minutes ago. All three shit the bed on the first hole.

You would. #2 in the world so need to start playing like it. England's goal just then was about the most basic goal you can imagine but perfectly executed.

Beautiful cross, beautiful header. Very nice.

Jesus Christ we do it the hard way every time.

Pretty sure you just guaranteed France a position in the quarters. I appreciate it :trollface:

I take that back. The only conceivable way France doesn't advance is if France loses, England loses, and France loses by at least one more goal than England did. If it's precisely by one goal, then it would come down to goals scored in the group.

France and England will go through unless Ukraine beat England. A draw in the England game and and both England and France go through regardless of what France do in their game. Reading your post confused me more :sly:

That's because I took it a step further than you did. If Ukraine beats England and Sweden beats France, Ukraine advances while England and France will go through the tie-break system.

First tiebreak is head to head, which will still be even. Second tie break is point differential, which is where the "lose by one more goal" bit comes in. If France loses by one goal more than England, the goal differential would be tied. Then we'd go to total goals scored. England currently has a one goal lead in that category, but it would obviously depend on the number of goals scored in the next set of games.

Can't watch this sport. The diving, and the fact that the refs encourage it, absolutely disgusts me.

And the fact that at the last World Cup (considered the highest level of soccer, right?), England scored a goal but the ref didn't see it so it doesn't count. WTF? No goal judge? No use of video replay? The fact that this sport refuses to evolve to modern standards, and the fact that the fanbase SUPPORTS it's archaic nature, is almost as disgusting as the panziness of the diving.

The diving, and the fact that the refs encourage it, absolutely disgusts me.

No doubt that shit drives me crazy. I think both soccer and the NBA would be well served by instituting a post-game review process. Someone goes through the game tape and looks for flagrant flops. If one is found, the player is given a yellow card. If that gives the player two in that match or one in successive matches, they should be suspended from the next match, accordingly. This strikes a balance where you don't have an eye in the sky making calls that immediately affects the game at hand. Yet, you penalize players for acting in what I consider an unsportsmanlike manner.

International football produces weaker teams than domestic leagues. The aggregation of talent from numerous countries produces some spectacular teams. I'd say the Champion's League is the highest peak of football instead of the World Cup.

The NBA is considering new rules for next reason regarding flops. Would be welcomed for sure. As for soccer, it's obviously a tougher proposition since one of the beautiful things about the game is its fluidity. Perhaps Josh is right, assessing after the fact penalties for diving etc. might be the way to discourage it.

If this were any other tournament, you would be correct. The Euro is quirky.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/15/sports/soccer/euro-2012-goal-differential-is-not-first-tiebreaker.html

Plenty of other sources if you don't like how that one is worded.

Edit: This article has it in list form:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1211754--euro-2012-how-italy-can-advance-to-next-round-or-be-knocked-out-under-complicated-tiebreak-system

Edited by Joshjrn

Yep you're right Josh, my bad.

I personally don't care about the citizenship issue because the choice is usually made when they're young and don't know the quality that they may reach later in life. Messi declined Spanish citizenship when he was a teenager. Imagine what Spain would have been like with him in their team too :dan: