Euro 2012

Joshjrn

The citizenship thing kind of bothers me. I know I wouldn't feel right having David Beckham on the US national team. I don't care that he plays here some seasons. I guess as a happy medium, I would create a cut off. Your citizenship for the sake of international sports locks at 18. I just don't like the thought of 25 year olds team shopping.

Generally if you play for the Under 21s of a national side, that locks you to a nation. Good players usually break through to the u21s before they're very good so have made their bed before they're sought after. I know what you're saying but I believe there is a cut off. Usually you can only play for a different nation to the one you're born in if your parents were born in a different country.

I don't know the specific restrictions or allowances though.

Interesting that both games were on simultaneously today. I personally would have watched both but it allowed for group movements to change very rapidly throughout the match. Ronaldo had a fantastic game and Holland were all over the place. Shocking to see the World Cup finalists reduced to being knocked out in the group stages of Euro 2012 without a single point...even a team as temperamental as the Dutch.

Interesting that both games were on simultaneously today. I personally would have watched both but it allowed for group movements to change very rapidly throughout the match.

The final games for every group are played simultaneously. It would be a terribly unfair advantage to know that you could settle for a draw as opposed to needing a win, etc. I don't know if you have access to ESPN3 (online streaming). That's how I've watched both games, one on the TV with sound on and one on my laptop with sound off.

Edited by Joshjrn

So apparently Lauren Blanc is rumoured with the Spurs job :dan: Odd that they'd be talking now if it is true considering Lauren Blanc still has a job to do with France.

Edited by Aurum S

So apparently Lauren Blanc is rumoured with the Spurs job :dan: Odd that they'd be talking now if it is true considering Lauren Blanc still has a job to do with France.

I forgot about this post...

That's pretty standard for American sports, frankly. It's actually the source of a lot of animosity when coaches lie about it and then end up leaving.

Back in the day a triple post would get you a warning, Josh.

That was back when warnings were warnings and not a hair's breadth from a skull fucking :reporter:

The one match-up I was hoping for at the beginning of the tournament was Germany vs Greece, largely for political reasons. Was a really entertaining game despite its 1-sidedness.