College Football - LSU is your daddy (indefinitely)

Joshjrn

And so we've got Georgia who hung fucking 45 on them, Louisville ranked 69th in total offense, GT at 19, Oklahoma at 23, SC at 33, and they don't even get to pretend to claim FSU. Despite all of his rapey flaws, that kid could play football. The fact that they couldn't beat you with him not in the stadium is pathetic.

So they put up decent, if not great, numbers against three teams with a pulse. And got blown the fuck out by another. Again, I'm not saying that had a bad defense. They had an above average defense. But let's not pretend like anyone was scared of them, and if you're looking for a "defensive team" to follow, they just ain't it.

If I recall correctly, UGA had a TD or two on ST/D. That was when UGA had both Gurley and Chubb, which was easily the country's best running game. Clemson pulled a typical Clemson in the 4th quarter of that game. Regardless, I put little value in how a team performs in their opener (or first real game) if it's an outlier for the rest of their season. UL's offensive numbers were skewed by the fact that guys like Davante Parker and Michael Dyer missed considerable time early in the season. Those two guys were supposed to be their saving graces for losing Bridgewater. UNC was also #45. Those rankings for the others you provided are all respectable.

Them not beating FSU last year had nothing to do with their defense. lol did you watch the game? They realistically gave up 10 points to us in regulation. Even with a bunch of young guys and being without Jameis, our entire offense was pretty much all blue chips. Jameis was in the stadium, as the telecast showed him between every single play. They lost because their offense got to the 1-yard line, at which point, their center snapped the ball to the 20-yard line where they missed a FG (and another FG). We got a lucky TD toward the end of regulation when their CB slipped and gave Rashad an easy 80-yd TD. They then fumbled the ball when all they had to do was run the clock out. They just find ways to choke against teams like FSU, but it was at no real fault to their defense, as they held us to negative rushing yards in regulation. I remember sitting there at the game knowing we had no business winning. Not even going to address the "rapey" bit. 

Still interested in why you credit Auburn for their physical style of defense, but you won't concede the same for Clemson.

Edited by Zach

Was he in the stadium? I apparently remembered incorrectly. Could have sworn he was told to stay away from that game. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

Anyway, I'm going off memory of style. You can be a "good" defense without being a smash-mouth defense, or being considered a "defensive team". Clemson's identify has never, to my knowledge, been as a defensive juggernaut. They've been trying to outscore teams for as long as I can remember, with varying results.

Was he in the stadium? I apparently remembered incorrectly. Could have sworn he was told to stay away from that game. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

Anyway, I'm going off memory of style. You can be a "good" defense without being a smash-mouth defense, or being considered a "defensive team". Clemson's identify has never, to my knowledge, been as a defensive juggernaut. They've been trying to outscore teams for as long as I can remember, with varying results.

ESPN made the biggest media circus out of that game. They made this whole big deal because he warmed up with the team, despite being suspended. They then focused the camera on him between just about every single play. It was pathetic.

And traditionally, no. However, ever since the arrival of Brent Venables as DC, their defense has steadily risen to be their strength. In terms of game management, it's actually pretty amazing as to how good their OC and DC are, coupled with how bad their HC is.

Edited by Zach

Which game am I thinking of... there was a major suspension in the last couple of years in which the star wasn't allowed on the sidelines because he would be a distraction. I could have sworn it was that game, but obviously not. This is going to irk me until I figure it out...

Let's gooooo Argentina !

oops wrong forum

soooo what's the best top 5 teams in the league ?

Do the people who win college football go onto the NFL afterwards?

free scholarships lucky ducks  :proud:

Let's gooooo Argentina !

oops wrong forum

soooo what's the best top 5 teams in the league ?

Do the people who win college football go onto the NFL afterwards?

free scholarships lucky ducks  :proud:

Well, the AP rankings at the end of last season were

Ranking, Team, Record, Voting Points Total 

1. Ohio State 14-1 1475

2. Oregon 13-2 1402

3. TCU 12-1 1349

4. Alabama 12-2 1297

5. Michigan State 11-2 1212

5. Florida State 13-1 1212

At this point, no official rankings have been released for this coming season. Phil Steele usually has the best preseason predictions, in terms of ballparking the success of the teams on his list. I've put his rankings (from June 15th) below.

1. Ohio State 

2. TCU 

3. USC 

4. Alabama 

5. Baylor 

6. Georgia 

7. Stanford 

8. Florida State 

9. Michigan State 

10. LSU 

11. Oregon 

12. Notre Dame 

13. Wisconsin 

14. Auburn 

15. UCLA 

16. Virginia Tech 

17. Clemson 

18. Oklahoma 

19. Penn State 

20. Ole Miss 

21. Miami (FL) 

22. Arkansas 

23. Boise State 

24. Missouri 

25. Tennessee 

26. Nebraska 

27. Utah 

28. Oklahoma State 

29. Arizona State 

30. Georgia Tech 

31. Marshall 

32. Texas A&M 

33. Texas 

34. Arizona 

35. Toledo 

36. Minnesota 

37. Louisville 

38. San Diego State 

39. Mississippi State 

40. Cincinnati

Edited by Zach

Which game am I thinking of... there was a major suspension in the last couple of years in which the star wasn't allowed on the sidelines because he would be a distraction. I could have sworn it was that game, but obviously not. This is going to irk me until I figure it out...

You mentioning that is giving me a sense of deja vu, but I can't remember who it was either. My first inclination was to say Gurley, but I don't believe it was him. 

Exactly why I have no respect for the propaganda machine that is ESPN college football metrics. Rewarding a team just because of conference affiliation (win or lose) rather than actual performance. 8 SEC teams ahead of FSU in their FPI projections, despite Bama and LSU being the only two who have consistently recruited in the same tier as FSU. Of course the SEC is the best overall conference, but it's ridiculous that ESPN continuously tries to make people believe that every team in the conference is either a giant or a sleeping giant.

Just sets the stage for ESPN to influence everyone to rank many of these teams higher than they deserve. If they win, it validates their stance. If they lose, it's because they lost to another SEC team who they have ranked in the ~top-15. It's such dumb, circular logic.

Screen_Shot_2015-07-21_at_12.54.01_PM.0.

FPI is like QBR. It's a silly stat made by silly people which, more often than not, comes to silly results. I chuckled when I saw LSU at 5, our recruiting classes be damned. Until Les Miles shows that he's capable of putting a competent quarterback on the field, we have no business being taken seriously on the national stage.

I wish we would move to a paradigm in which the first polls wouldn't come out until Week 7, but that's just me dreaming.

I wish we would move to a paradigm in which the first polls wouldn't come out until Week 7, but that's just me dreaming.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'm of the opinion that the playoff rankings shouldn't be released weekly. Seemed like the committee did too much dissecting on a weekly basis, causing them to consistently change their criteria each week. What they would say they punished a team for in one week, they'd say they rewarded another team for in a subsequent week.

SEC teams should be rewarded and everyone else punished. Any system that doesn't accomplish that is fundamentally flawed :hmph: