A Song of Ice and Fire

Ymesocool

LiquidSwords

By now, she should know that her birthright doesn't mean shit to anybody in Westeros. Even Jorah told her that, in kinder words. I'm pretty sure she even acknowledged it herself. I think this sense of entitlement was just her way of trying to convince Jon to give up his half of the kingdom and it didn't work, now her only choice is to keep being stubborn or she'll look like a pushover who just hands out kingdoms left and right.

Edited by LiquidSwords

The opening scene was horrible and from beginning to end took about 16 minutes. The whole thing was forced, two adolescent "rulers" talking with no consequence, not talking to each other as characters but figureheads with no idea what they're doing, talking past each other. Ok he doesn't want to help her and she doesn't want to help him, now can we end the scene please. Oh no remember all this cool shit I did back in the day, oh yeah well listen to all this horrible shit that happened to me back in the day, oh yeah well my dad made more money than yours, yeah well your dad was an asshole.

It might sound like an important scene, Jon and Dany meeting for the first time, but it's not. Nothing about the plot changed from the meeting.

Then they do a sort of transition scene where they show Theon and his crew shit talking him and then switch to King's Landing, all well and good, but then we spend 4 1/2 minutes watching Cersei force a fairly insignificant character watch her kill an incredibly insignificant character as revenge for killing Cersei's daughter (who is politically and plot-wise insignificant).

Maybe it's meant to be ironic, waste all the screentime on insignificant characters and meetings trying to show that everything in the entire show is insignificant.

I saw the Jon & Dany meet dialogue as intentionally pointless conversation to a degree.

The fact neither of them could really do the speaking element of ruling themselves and Dany unable to find a reason for Jon to kneel while Jon was incapable of convincing Dany of the "bigger threat" was probably quite an eye opener and a humbling experience. At least I'm hoping so.

Tyrion & Davos were quite evidently the talented diplomats in their respective parties and I think The Onion Knight's reaction to Danaerys doubting Jon's right to be King will have had her doubting her claim (as Liquid said). Her mind lingering on the "knife in the heart" part is quite clearly something that has made her think and possibly re-evaluate. Maybe... just maybe... she's entertaining the thought that she isn't Azor Ahai.

Her throwaway comment that was along the lines of "we all enjoy what we're good at" and Jon shooting her down looks like a shoutout to Rhaegar - but why Dany would pick up on that, or know much about Rhaegar at all, is beyond me.

I'm not one for reading too deeply into every single word spoken but I do expect the conversation to have influence in some form a few times before the story ends.

The Arya + Brienne scene was incredible; then it leads into the loot train battle which was equally unexpected and incredible. Great episode. 

18 minutes ago, Veggie said:

Tyrion has lost his marbles. Don't drink, kids.

Yeah, that whole plan is...strange. 

2 hours ago, Beric said:

Yeah, that whole plan is...strange. 

Plan is dumb but it's probably all set-up for the Jaime redemption arc. (Him seeing the danger, assuming they get that far and the meeting actually happens, and Cersei not responding accordingly).

Anyways I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. I didn't like the whole Winterfell/Sansa/Littlefinger/Arya thing. I'm totally done with his character at this point and it almost feels like filler.

I fucking love how good the Dragon CGI is. Never get to see cool looking monsters like that for as long as some shots are in this show and I'm going to miss that when it's over. (Please do more crazy shows in the future HBO).

I thought Gendry actually being reintroduced is purely fan service and so they could tell that rowing the boat joke. I don't mind it though, gives Jon another person to throw into the White Walker meat grinder.

Danny burning people alive seems odd given her 'morals', even if it does seem fairly instant, people really fear that sort of death. I don't know if they have enough time to mess around with moral stuff like that between Tyrion/Varys but they've brought it up so I assume they'll be some more about that.

Sam (sorta) finding out that Jon is not only a Targ but a legit Targ is interesting. I don't see why that would need to be the case for Danny x Jon to happen other than making it seem even more "legit" in some people eyes.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, AmusedDragon said:

I didn't like the whole Winterfell/Sansa/Littlefinger/Arya thing.

I don't even understand the conflict. Yes, Arya, Sansa does need to play politics in case Jon doesn't return. Unless you want the North to roll over for Cersei. 

2 minutes ago, AmusedDragon said:

I thought Gendry actually being reintroduced is purely fan service and so they could tell that rowing the boat joke. I don't mind it though, gives Jon another person to throw into the White Walker meat grinder.

I hope his reappearance has more meaning, but yeah... I also really did not like the acting behind that character, felt very forced and ham-handed. Also, his deviation from the book character particularly bothers me because it fucks with Beric's character. Beric knighted Gendry, and did not sell him (or anyone) to Melisandre.

Regarding the leaked episode - I had to keep pausing that battle scene to regain my composure. :sadbanana:

Spoiler for an episode that has not yet aired. Also some book spoilers for those yet to read them:

Spoiler

How the hell is Beric still alive?!? And why is he still alive? This guy gives his life up in the fourth novel in order to revive zombie-Catelyn Stark, after Thoros refuses to attempt bringing her back. Having the Stark matriarch wandering around as a blood-thirsty/revenge-focused undead is far more interesting than this. I've been waiting to see some reason for the switch here, but it has yet to come. 

Man this thread is still going? That's awesome.  I posted in here years ago lol.  It's been interesting to see how the show has unfolded in comparison to the books.  Obviously, it is past the books now but still watching it and enjoying it.