A Song of Ice and Fire

Ymesocool

Yeah Ethan. It was unnecessarily long. We got the point they were trying to make fairly quickly. The same as the greyscale peeling (which I had to physically walk away from) in this episode, and the bedpan scrubbing in the last.

I've felt it for a while but I'm convinced now: Emilia Clarke is not a good actor. Her dialogue seems so forced and when bearing in mind that she's one of very few of the actors not putting on a false accent on top of telling a fantasy story, I'm appreciating how much better the others are/were.

The Nymeria scene was a bit odd and blunt. Hopefully it plays a role later on. It was cool to see Arya's change of emotion as soon as she realised that going home might be a possibility. The toil potentially has an end in sight for her.

I'm not using spoiler tags because if you're reading this thread before watching it, you deserve it spoiled. 

47 minutes ago, Dan G said:

I'm not using spoiler tags because if you're reading this thread before watching it, you deserve it spoiled. 

Hey, that's me :wizardogen:

Overvoltage
50 minutes ago, Dan G said:

Yeah Ethan. It was unnecessarily long.

They just wanted to make the Danerys plotline faithful to the book lol

edit for clarity: not that the show is accurate, but just the part about it being unnecessarily long

Edited by Overvoltage
14 hours ago, Ethan said:

That scene with Missandei and Grey Worm was awful. It set a weird tone to the rest of the episode.

But Missandei though? ##

10 hours ago, Dan G said:

The same as the greyscale peeling (which I had to physically walk away from) 

When it transitioned from him stabbing Jorah's skin to someone eating in the tavern I was very grossed out. Though I appreciated it all the same.

10 hours ago, Dan G said:

I've felt it for a while but I'm convinced now: Emilia Clarke is not a good actor. Her dialogue seems so forced and when bearing in mind that she's one of very few of the actors not putting on a false accent on top of telling a fantasy story, I'm appreciating how much better the others are/were.

She's a terrible actress and her character is terrible. She can only say grand-type stuff and make clever quips. Last season I felt the 3 or so scenes with her hyping up crowds with dragons/fire were totally unnecessary.

Varys <3

And is it just me or does Euron Greyjoy seem cartoonishly evil? 

Daenerys is actually one of the best-written characters (in the books), in my humble opinion. :(

As for Euron Greyjoy, he is the single most evil person in Westeros -- and the world of ASoIaF, for that matter -- as best evidenced by the released "The Forsaken" chapter from The Winds of Winter. I haven't watched the new season, but if they are portraying him as such, it is entirely accurate. :P

2 hours ago, Beric said:

He is very dramatic and over the top but I quite like that. We've had seasons of Littlefinger's scheming, Ramsay's gradual disintegration of a person and Danaerys' faux-might - it's good to see someone just go out there, get shit done and make a show of it. 

3 hours ago, Beric said:

52 minutes ago, Dan G said:

He is very dramatic and over the top but I quite like that.

His outfit and his persona are great, I'm a fan as well.

3 hours ago, Sirsir said:

Daenerys is actually one of the best-written characters (in the books), in my humble opinion. :(

I didn't mind her so much in the books. The show version of her was better earlier on. Now it's just 'my dragons this' and 'my dragons that'. But her story has lacked mystery for so long. I feel like everyone knows where it's going, and that is why it feels so meh.

Just now, AmusedDragon said:

His outfit and his persona are great, I'm a fan as well.

I guess to me he just feels like more of a plot device than a person. 

Just now, Beric said:

That's how I've felt about Danny for like 5 seasons now.

I guess the fact that he's actually entertaining has a lot to do with why I don't mind him so much. Though, it's early.

1 minute ago, Beric said:

I'd say that's accurate. He's probably a metaphorical band aid over the cracks that the book to show conversion has been forced to create. He will be the cause of, and solution to many plot points, I expect. 

Massive episode spoiler. DO NOT READ ME.

Spoiler

I was not ready for the end of Olenna Tyrell. That glorious badass :jade:

LiquidSwords

Wow. This episode was pretty good.

36 minutes ago, Beric said:

Massive episode spoiler. DO NOT READ ME.

Hide contents

I was not ready for the end of Olenna Tyrell. That glorious badass :jade:

Yeah seriously.

But at least she went out the way she lived: spittin' venom

On 7/31/2017 at 5:41 AM, Veggie said:

First half of the episode was boring as shit, second half was fuckin' great

A bit hyperbolic; the first half was fairly standard, the second half was right up there.

We had four more-cerebral characters for a period and now we have two. I hope the remaining two become more front-and-centre.

I'm still of the opinion that people shouldn't be reading this thread without being caught up so no spoiler tags from me.  :hmph:

On 7/31/2017 at 0:41 AM, Veggie said:

First half of the episode was boring as shit, second half was fuckin' great

I quite enjoyed all the Tyrion/Jon scenes.

This episode had a good bit of humor in it. Also glad that so many people are being killed off. Bringing it all the a focal point now.

Thought that Cersei was going to do way worse things to her prisoners and I expected Jaime to stab Olenna in the face after her reveal to him.

Bran being a creepy dude reminded me of Dr. Manhattan, another character who has 'seen all' that has happened.

Calling it: Danny and Jon are going to be boning by season's end.

I agree with Qasim. Don't read the topic if you don't want spoilers. 

I found it incredibly annoying that Dany expects Jon to stand by the actions of his ancestors - this case being the oath of loyalty - while also asking that she not be judged for the actions of hers.  She spent so much time earning the loyalty of her followers, and now that she gets to Westeros she's demanding blind loyalty without doing a damn thing to earn it. 

22 minutes ago, James said:

I found it incredibly annoying that Dany expects Jon to stand by the actions of his ancestors - this case being the oath of loyalty - while also asking that she not be judged for the actions of hers.  She spent so much time earning the loyalty of her followers, and now that she gets to Westeros she's demanding blind loyalty without doing a damn thing to earn it. 

This is why Kings and Queens suck. #downwiththemonarchy

20 minutes ago, Beric said:

I spoiler tag for the good of people who use the forum's activity stream. 

Damn it.