A Song of Ice and Fire

Ymesocool

1 hour ago, Veggie said:

Books, show, I don't care. What's going on right now is just terrible storytelling. It's season 6,  We're about 70-85% the way into the story. And somehow we end up with about 90% of this season being deadend character development? What do I care about Riverrun? It could be abandoned for all I care. Blackfish? Some irrelevant character who might as well have died long ago, not even requiring a mention let alone screen time. Why are we still in Meereen, my god? The battle of the bastards? How have we devolved to this? A main character fighting a very irrelevant character has become the crux of the second to last full season? Unless the point is to have everyone die to demonstrate how meaningless everything is. In terms of actual things happening this season, we only have a couple. Bran learning and figuring out his powers. Theon and his sister on their way to deliver a fleet of ships to Dany. Everything else could be cut.

This kind of shit might be okay if we were watching a show like The Walking Dead or some shit where you're fully aware that you're getting shitty tiny conflicts which get resolved in the same episode, and maybe one event moving foward the overall plot per season. Through season 3 at least, most things mattered, and character development was perfectly fine because we didn't know the characters yet.

These last two episodes better kill it. This has been the worst season thus far.

preach

LiquidSwords
6 hours ago, Dan G said:

Personally I think that's a good thing. Having not read the books (although I do now own them and they're ready for my trip to Australia in December), It gives me an incentive to do so. 

I'm interested in discovering the differences. 

This is the reason I started reading the books. Still love the show, but I wanted to see all of these awesome plots that were being cut. So far, best decision I've ever made.

I personally think this is a step up from season 5. Arya's health cheat codes and the Tully's giving up Riverrun because their broken lord demands it were silly, but I've enjoyed the rest of the season so far.

8 hours ago, Dan G said:

Personally I think that's a good thing. Having not read the books (although I do now own them and they're ready for my trip to Australia in December), It gives me an incentive to do so. 

I'm interested in discovering the differences. 

I agree that it's interesting to note the differences, but I'd say that at some point one should think that an adaptation should have more similarities to than differences from the plot of the original creator's works and should follow the author's wishes~

I'm sure you'll enjoy the books quite a bit, and it is indeed fun to compare. ^_^

6 hours ago, Veggie said:

Books, show, I don't care. What's going on right now is just terrible storytelling. It's season 6,  We're about 70-85% the way into the story. And somehow we end up with about 90% of this season being deadend character development? What do I care about Riverrun? It could be abandoned for all I care. Blackfish? Some irrelevant character who might as well have died long ago, not even requiring a mention let alone screen time. Why are we still in Meereen, my god? The battle of the bastards? How have we devolved to this? A main character fighting a very irrelevant character has become the crux of the second to last full season? Unless the point is to have everyone die to demonstrate how meaningless everything is. In terms of actual things happening this season, we only have a couple. Bran learning and figuring out his powers. Theon and his sister on their way to deliver a fleet of ships to Dany. Everything else could be cut.

This kind of shit might be okay if we were watching a show like The Walking Dead or some shit where you're fully aware that you're getting shitty tiny conflicts which get resolved in the same episode, and maybe one event moving foward the overall plot per season. Through season 3 at least, most things mattered, and character development was perfectly fine because we didn't know the characters yet.

These last two episodes better kill it. This has been the worst season thus far.

Indeed; this season is pretty lackluster, and not just with respect to the standard formerly set by Game of Thrones.

Having said that, I'd opine that it's still much better than the vast majority of what airs on television. :D

I think the writers who butchered the Dorne storyline were bored and looking for something to do so the showrunners assigned them to Arya's plot.

Tomorrow's episode will probably be the entirely dedicated to the battle, if episode 9s of the previous two seasons are any indication. I expect a visual feast, at the very least, and probably a few key deaths. Hope my boy Davos makes it.

30 minutes ago, Ymesocool said:

Tomorrow's episode will probably be the entirely dedicated to the battle, if episode 9s of the previous two seasons are any indication. I expect a visual feast, at the very least, and probably a few key deaths. Hope my boy Davos makes it.

There will be a small amount of Meereen 

83 Elwood 00

I'm really hoping they blow me away with these last two episodes. This season has just been underwhelming overall, and i was so hype when Jon came back too! I also heard that they had the highest budget for this season(although I have yet to see where all of that money went), so here's to hoping they make up for it tonight and next week!

20 hours ago, Ymesocool said:

Hope my boy Davos makes it.

It's an odd feeling not already knowing who is going to die. 

Spoiler

I can't believe they gave us everything we wanted with almost no casualties (RIP Rickon & Wun Wun). Although all of it was predictable, the hounds were a nice touch.

Spoiler

I was so certain Jon was going to get shot while riding to Rickon. Don't really care about Rickon since he's had maybe five minutes of screen time and even fewer lines. 

6 hours ago, Beric said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was so certain Jon was going to get shot while riding to Rickon. Don't really care about Rickon since he's had maybe five minutes of screen time and even fewer lines. 

Spoiler

I thought he was going to get an arrow through the eye when he charged forward alone

LiquidSwords
Spoiler

I'm more bothered that Rickon got no lines whatsoever this season. He literally got no last words. I'm also surprised Wun-Wun and Rickon were the only deaths, I thought Tormund was gone at one point.

Even the stuff in Mereen was exciting. Like, for the first time in 3 seasons, something actually happened in that plot.

Oh, also, where the fuck was Ghost?

Edited by LiquidSwords
7 minutes ago, LiquidSwords said:
  Hide contents

Oh, also, where the fuck was Ghost?

Spoiler

I don't know about you, but I'm not risking my puppy in a lopsided battle. ##

I really thought we would lose Tormund & Davos in that battle. Rickon's shaggydog story was exactly as foreshadowed.

The scene with Jon, dismounted, surrounded by cavaliers smashing into each other was probably the best TV scene I've ever watched.

LockeLamora

Can't say it was the best of seasons, as it was full of deus ex machina, bullshit miracles, etc. but it was quite a turn of events when Sansa shrugged her ill demeanor towards Ramsay and hounded him till the end. Quite satisfactory.

LiquidSwords

I must be the only one that thinks it was better than S5.

Unrelated to the show, but do the books make anyone else really hungry??? GRRM goes into mad detail about the food and it really fucks with my appetite.