A Song of Ice and Fire

Ymesocool

I'd bet money that they are setting this up as a method of revealing Jon's true lineage. They will attempt to burn his body, and he will rise from the flames "Unburnt" like Daenerys. They will make the connection that he must be a Targaryen. Melisandre will immediately recognise him as the real Azor Ahai. Ghost will be sacrificed for this.

Edited by Memphus

People circlejerk about how Game of Thrones kills off their favorite characters but I think what's worse is that they introduce characters and then never come back to them or leave them at random points in the story. Tormund Giantsbane, the Tyrells, they spent the entire season without Bran and Rickon and Hodor and Osha, Varys for several episodes, Littlefinger, we hadn't seen Tommen or Pycelle or Grey Worm in several episodes, Lancel Lannister, Myrcella was gone for over 2 seasons, Beric and Thoros of Myr, Yara and Balon Greyjoy, Blackfish and Edmure Tully, Ilyn Payne, and much more.

There are probably more named characters who have mysteriously disappeared or simply don't get featured in episodes than named characters who have been killed. Seriously, what in the fuck has Balon Greyjoy been doing for 2 seasons? Why the fuck did we not see any Littlefinger in the finale?

They open up all of these new plotlines and characters and they can't juggle half of them. I wish they would simply kill off more characters or stop introducing "semi-main" characters.

They went out of their way to bring Melisandre back to the wall. In the books, she never left the wall. I am 100% certain that she will have a role to play in Jon's resurrection. (If you honestly believe he is dead for good then you don't understand what this series is all about. He IS the song of ice and fire, being the son of a Targaryn and a Stark.)

But yeah, it made me cringe too.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Because you know, hair is something that totally can't be artificially extended or anything.

Or the character can you know, cut it or something.

They went out of their way to bring Melisandre back to the wall. In the books, she never left the wall. I am 100% certain that she will have a role to play in Jon's resurrection. (If you honestly believe he is dead for good then you don't understand what this series is all about. He IS the song of ice and fire, being the son of a Targaryn and a Stark.)

But yeah, it made me cringe too.

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Any other book readers feel like they really dropped the ball this season?

Absolutely not. I feel like they fixed every thing that was wrong with books 4 and 5, because those books sucked donkey balls. No GRRM 100-page random tangents, where he never gets back to his original plot. The TV series is now wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than the books.

LiquidSwords

As a show-watcher-turned-book-read (only halfway through the first book) I would agree that this was the weakest season by far. Sand Snakes were incredibly corny, minus the jail scene, and ep. 9 just didn't feel like an ep. 9 to me. Aside from a few other things I could nitpick, it's still a pretty solid season to me.

I was actually a little sad to see how certain things turned out. One example being what happened with Myrcella, including the Sand Snakes.

I understand why some things had to happen how they did (such as merging Sansa with Jeyne) and speeding Tyrion to Meereen. Honestly wish the next book would get released before the next season, kind of don't want the show to eclipse the books by that much.

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Lord Martori said:

*cough* jon snow *cough* J+L=R ... we all know but are just afraid to say it!

I don't think anyone is afraid to say it. It's been mentioned multiple times in spoilered posts above :P